SMG Operations Manager in Miami, Florida
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities has an excellent and immediate opening for an Operations Manager at the James L. Knight Center. The Operations Manager is responsible for directing and coordinating personnel, subcontractors and daily activities involved in the successful execution of events and maintenance of the facility by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct, supervise and schedule all aspects of operations including event coordination and services, engineering, building and grounds maintenance, housekeeping, event staffing, set-ups and changeovers, security, crowd and risk management, fire and life safety, ADA compliance.
- Develop operating procedures that conform to corporate standards, customized to the specific needs of the facility and consistent with the goals and objectives of the client, facility and corporation.
- Manage subordinate supervisors who oversee employees in various functions. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual operating budget and recommend an annual capital budget for long-range repairs and improvements to the facility. Authorize the requisition of equipment and supplies within budget guidelines.
- Know and guarantee all laws, codes, ordinances, policies, procedures, risk management, safety precautions, rules/regulations and emergency procedures are followed. Develop program to train all employees on fire/life safety and emergency procedures.
- Investigate, analyze and resolve operational problems and complaints. Conduct periodic staff meetings to discuss procedures, problems and policy changes.
- Assist in the preparation and negotiation of service agreements for housekeeping services and other agreements as needed. Review contracts for compliance with event and/or government specifications and suitability for occupancy.
- Act as a liaison between unions, tenants and facility contractors as needed.
- Plan, budget and schedule facility's modifications including cost estimates, bid sheets, layouts and contracts for construction and conversions.
- Inspect conversions, construction and installation progress to ensure conformance to established specifications.
- Develop and implement preventative maintenance schedules, emergency procedures, safety and risk management policies.
- Ensure facility's fire and emergency safety systems are in operating order and compliant with all codes, ordinances and laws.
- Work extended and/or irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays, as needed.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university and/or four (4) to six (6) years related experience and/or training in the public assembly industry in a supervisory or management position; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrate knowledge in operational procedures, facility capabilities, industry terminology, event-related services, and technical requirements for the types of events anticipated at the facility. Must possess a thorough understanding of facility's electrical, mechanical, HVAC and other systems.
- Possess skills and experience in contract negotiations, business law, budget preparation, labor relations, union contracts, purchasing procedures and supervising/training personnel.
- Engage in much decision-making that is generally governed by procedure and guided by policy.
- Maintain an effective working relationship with clients, employees, exhibitors, patrons and others encountered in the course of employment.
- Read and comprehend blueprints, drawings, and other related materials.
- Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both oral and written form.
- Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines. Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results.
- Operate a personal computer using Windows, Word, Excel, and other standard office equipment.
- Possess any licenses, certificates or training required by local, state or national authorities for the operation of the equipment found in the facility, in particular electrical, HVAC, and forklift operation.
- Be licensed and insured to operate a motor vehicle in the United States.
- Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Ashley Wdowiarz 400 Southeast 2nd Avenue Miami, FL 33131
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact 305-416-5974.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled